CHEM Trust policy submissions and letters
CHEM Trust Briefing: Chemicals in food contact materials: A gap in the internal market, a failure in public protection, January 2016
Joint CHEM Trust and Greenpeace response to a consultation on the UK’s Chemicals Stakeholder Forum, January 2016
Joint NGO letter to President Juncker regarding the European Court of Justice ruling on the Commission’s failure to set criteria to identify Endocrine Disrupting Chemicals, January 2016
- CHEM Trust, EEB, HEAL and PAN jointly sent a letter to President Juncker, copied to First Vice President Timmermans and Commissioners Andriukaitis and Vella, criticising the Commission’s inaction following the ECJ ruling.
Comments on the EU Commission Road Map on bisphenol A in food contact materials, December 2015
- CHEM Trust submitted comments on the European Commission Road Map “Proposal for a new measure on bisphenol A (BPA) in food contact materials”.
Submission to UK Parliamentary Inquiry on EU/UK Environmental Policy, November 2015
Response to SEAC consultation on socioeconomic aspects of a restriction on Bisphenol A in thermal paper, November 2015
Joint NGO letter to Glenis Willmott MEP regarding EDCs in medical devices directive, November 2015
- CHEM Trust joined with other NGOs to send a letter to Glenis Willmott MEP, Rapporteur for the European Parliament for the Medical Devices Directive, calling for effective action to remove EDCs from medical devices. See the Health Care Without Harm blog for more information.
Joint NGO letter to EU Health Commissioner, urging him to take precautionary action on the use of glyphosate, October 2015
- CHEM Trust joined with over 45 organisations to send a letter to EU Health Commissioner Vytenis Andriukaitis, urging him to take precautionary action on the use of glyphosate.
CHEM Trust comments on EFSA consultation on guidance on risk assessment of chemicals in food contact materials, October 2015
Joint NGO letter to Commissioner Vella on decaBDE in recycling in UNEP POPs process, September 2015
Briefing on the circular economy and hazardous chemicals, August 2015
- As part of our submission to the European Commission’s consultation on the circular economy, we produced a briefing making recommendations for policies that are needed in order to ensure that the circular economy doesn’t end up perpetuating the use of hazardous chemicals.
Briefing on setting criteria to identify endocrine disrupters, July 2015
- A briefing which critiques a proposal from the German Risk Assessment Institute (BfR) for an approach to setting criteria for identifying endocrine disrupting chemicals.
Comments on ‘negligible exposure’ in EU pesticides law, July 2015
Joint UK NGO letter to UK Business Secretary on TTIP, June 2015
- CHEM Trust joined with over 20 UK NGOs and trade unions to send a letter on TTIP to the UK Government’s Secretary of State for Business Innovation and Skills, expressing our concerns about the proposed TTIP trade deal.
- The UK Government replied to this letter on 20th July.
Joint NGO letter to Commissioners Bienkowska and Vella regarding addition of sVHCs to REACH authorisation process, May 2015
- CHEM Trust joined with other NGOs to send a letter to the EU Commissioners responsible for Growth and Environment, asking them to end the informal ‘freeze’ on adding new chemicals to the authorisation process in REACH.
- The EU Commission replied to this letter in July 2015, stating that the ‘freeze’ on adding new chemicals to the authorisation process in REACH is now over, and the Commission will be re-starting work on this process.
Joint NGO letter to Chair of European Parliament’s Committee on International Trade, May 2015
CHEM Trust submission to Commission consultation on simplification of REACH authorisation, April 2015
- CHEM Trust submitted comments to the European Commission’s consultation on “streamlining and simplification of the REACH authorisation application procedure for applications concerning uses of substances in low volumes and on a one-time extension of transitional arrangements for uses of substances in legacy spare parts“
Joint NGO position paper: “The Circular Economy and REACH: An Essential Partnership”, April 2015
- A position paper, supported by CHEM Trust, EEB, Friends of the Earth Europe and Zero Waste Europe, explaining the essential partnership between REACH and the Circular Economy.
Letter to Executive Director of the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA), March 2015
- A letter from CHEM Trust asking EFSA to explain why it misrepresented the results of the expert panel’s report on the safety of Bisphenol A. See this blog for his reply.
Joint letter from Civil Society groups to MEPs on TTIP, March 2015
- Joint letter from 375 civil society organisations to MEPs calling for a TTIP resolution that puts people, the environment and democracy before short-term profit and disproportionate corporate rights. Other language versions available on the CEO website.
Letter to EU Health and Food Safety Commissioner Vytenis Andriukaitis, February 2015
- Letter highlighting our concerns with the European Food Standards Agency (EFSA) conclusions on Bisphenol A (BPA), and also asking what progress has been made in addressing the regulatory gaps in our protection from chemicals in food packaging – see blog. The blog on the reply we received is here.
Joint statement on the need for a new priority for the UK Treasury, February 2015
Joint statement by Civil Society groups against Regulatory Co-operation in TTIP, February 2015
Written evidence from CHEM Trust to the Environmental Audit Committee of UK House of Commons, for their inquiry on TTIP and the environment, January 2015
- See blog post, or access the written evidence on the EAC site here.
Joint NGO letter and briefing on procedural and substantive flaws in the proposal to authorise DEHP in PVC, January 2015
CHEM Trust submission to the European Commission’s consultation on criteria for Endocrine Disrupting Chemicals, January 2015
CHEM Trust report on pharmaceuticals in the Environment submitted to the international SAICM process, December 2014
Joint NGO letter on the proposal to authorise widespread use of DEHP in PVC, November 2014
Joint NGO letter to Commission President Juncker asking him to act to protect public health from Hormone Disrupting Chemicals, November 2014
CHEM Trust submission to the EU Chemicals Agency on the need for a ban on the use of Bisphenol A in thermal paper, October 2014
Joint NGO letter to President-Elect of the European Commission, Jean-Claude Juncker, on the Commission’s Scientific Advice, August 2014
Joint NGO letter to the EU Chemicals Agency on the “consumer right to know” video, July 2014
CHEM Trust submission on pharmaceuticals under SAICM, July 2014
CHEM Trust submission to ECHA on flame retardant HBCDD, July 2014
Joint NGO letter on TTIP and chemicals, July 2014
CHEM Trust letter to EU Health Commissioner Borg regarding chemicals in Packaging, July 2014
CHEM Trust comments on the EFSA consultation on BPA, March 2014
CHEM Trust & HEAL Briefing on TTIP (Trans-Atlantic Trade and Investment Parnership) How the EU-US trade talks could could harm our health by affecting chemicals legislation, March 2014
CHEM Trust submission to ECHA re DEHP, Jan 2014
Policy statements from previous years